The first library in Spokane was a small room in the Old Auditorium building, housing twenty items of literature donated by the Spokane Sorosis Club in 1891, and managed by the Union Library Association. When relocated to City Hall in 1895, it became the Spokane City Library. Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building on Cedar along with neighborhood branches, creating Spokane Public Library. The Comstock building constructed in 1930 by Sears, Roebuck, and Company was remodeled in 1961, and became home for the Main Branch in 1964. Spokane continued to grow, and neighborhood branches relocated from the original Carnegie libraries into more convenient locations, such as shopping malls and community centers. By 1990, it was clear the library was once again in need of new accommodations. Funds for new buildings were approved, and in 1994 the Main Branch moved into its current location and the five neighborhood branches were all complete by 1998.